Dental Exams and Teeth Cleaning
Daily brushing and flossing will keep dental calculus to a minimum, but a professional dental cleaning will remove calculus in places your toothbrush and floss have missed. Your visit to our office is an important part of your program to prevent gum disease. Dental exams give us the opportunity to evaluate your current methods of dental care and provide suggestions for future care in order to protect you from complications such as cavities and gum disease. They also allow us to detect problems early so they can be fixed quickly and easily.
Dental exams should generally take place every six months. However, consult with our team to decide how often you should be examined, for we may suggest that you visit more frequently based on factors such as smoking, frequency of cavities and genetic susceptibility to tooth and root decay as well as gum disease.
Oral Exam Overview
- Update of medical and dental history chart
- An examination of your teeth and soft tissues.
- Oral Cancer Screening
- Tissue and bone assessment
- Tooth stability and bite examination
- Cleaning and polishing of your teeth
- Oral hygiene review
- General Patient concerns and questions on dental health
DENTAL PROPHYLAXIS (Teeth Cleaning)
A dental prophylaxis is a cleaning treatment performed to thoroughly clean the teeth and gums. Dental prophylaxis is an important dental treatment for stopping the progression of gingivitis and periodontal disease.
Dental prophylaxis is an effective procedure in keeping the oral cavity in proper health and halting the progression of gum disease.
BENEFITS OF PROFESSIONAL TEETH CLEANING:
- Plaque removal. Tartar (also referred to as calculus) and plaque buildup, both above and below the gum line, can result in serious periodontal problems. Unfortunately, even with a proper home brushing and flossing routine, it can be impossible to remove all debris, bacteria and deposits from gum pockets. The experienced eye of a dentist or hygienist using specialized dental equipment is necessary to catch potentially damaging buildup.
- A healthier looking smile. Stained and yellowed teeth can dramatically decrease the aesthetics of a smile. Prophylaxis is an effective treatment in ridding the teeth of these unsightly stains.
- Fresher breath. Bad breath (or halitosis) is generally indicative of advancing periodontal disease. A combination of rotting food particles (possibly below the gum line) and potential gangrene stemming from gum infection, results in bad breath. The routine removal of plaque, calculus and bacteria at our facility can noticeably improve halitosis and reduce infection.
Preparing For a Dental Exam
The best way to prepare for a dental exam is to practice good dental care. Brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing at least once a day is recommended. Be sure to clean your teeth before you arrive at your appointment. Our team will be cleaning your teeth for you, but it is helpful to remove food and plaque beforehand so we can focus on the more difficult-to-clean areas. You also want to make sure you are prepared to share pertinent information such as your medical history, insurance coverage and current dental care methods with us. Don’t be embarrassed to be honest about your oral health habits – our team is not here to judge you, but to work with you to improve your habits and ensure dental health! Lastly, be prepared to schedule a follow-up appointment or future check-up at the end of your dental exam.
Professional dental cleaning can be performed at our office. We recommend that prophylaxis be performed twice annually as a preventative measure, but should be completed every 3-4 months for periodontitis sufferers. It should be noted that gum disease cannot be completely reversed, but dental prophylaxis is one of the tools Doctors Hudec, Chan, LoPresti, or Schuster can use to effectively halt its progression.
Patient Review from Michael A
Angie is outstanding! Drs. Schuster and Chan are dynamite...great work!
- Michael A
Patient Review from Joseph H
A great "dental" experience. Clean surroundings, modern equipment, people very polite and helpful. For the first time in my life a dentist office is not a scary place.
- Joseph H
Patient Review from PBHS T
- PBHS T